The Sperling Funeral Home was founded in 1921 by Walter J. Sperling, Sr. and his wife Margaret Knapp Sperling. Mr. Sperling helped build the railroad out to the western states, and when that was completed, he found a position as an embalmer in Colorado. He soon made his way back home to Pittsburgh and started the original funeral home on the North Side at the corner of Lockhart Street and Nash Street. The original funeral home was located across from St. Mary’s Catholic Church, which is now the Grand Hall of Pittsburgh and Priory, A City Inn. In the mid 1950’s, the government began the planning of I-279 and started buying properties for the construction of the highway. This original building was part of the properties that needed to be acquired. Fortunately, a few blocks down on the corner of Lockhart Street and Cedar Avenue was the Geiselhart Funeral Home, and the Sperling family was able to purchase that building and move to this new location in the 1960’s. In early 2000 as population continued to switch to the suburbs the Sperling family began looking to relocate to where many of the families they served moved too. In late 2012 after searching for a buyer who would be a good steward to the Cedar Avenue location the Sperling’s relocated the license to the facility they opened in 2007. We continue to honor all the prearranged funerals from the new location in McCandless Twp.
In the 1950’s the emergence of another new funeral home for the Sperling Family in Millvale, Pennsylvania- just a short drive from the city and the original birth place of Walter J. Sperling, Sr. At this time, Walt and Peg’s son- Walter J. Sperling, Jr.- was now in the business and helping with the expansion process. In 1959, he opened the second location at 123 North Ave. This was in the building that was occupied by the former Sirlin Funeral Home. Again, this building was renovated to provide Millvale with the most modern and spacious funeral home in the area and was conveniently located next to Saint Anthony’s Church (now Holy Spirit Parish). In early 2012, we opted to sell this building do to shifting demographics and population loss in the borough. We still have all the permanent records and are honoring all pre-planned and funded funerals.
The Sperling family began to recognize that the suburbs would be an important location to continue to serve the many families who entrust them with their families’ services. After years of searching they came upon the property at 700 Blazier Drive in the Town of McCandless. They purchased this 9800 sq. ft. former State Farm Insurance building and began renovations to create a one- of- a -kind facility in the North Hills. The goal was to design the inside of the building to feel comfortable and provide the feeling of being at home, not a large funeral parlor. This was, in part, accomplished by adding a rustic fireplace and using warm accenting colors and open spaces. This new location was licensed and began operating in May 2007